Job Description: Two farm owners / managers to develop a diversified permaculture farm in western Connecticut.
Start-date: September 15, 2012
Summary of Position: In collaboration with land owners, develop a diversified permaculture farm on 200+ acres of fields, forests, and streams. Potential ecological / organic enterprises include:
• Mixed-fruit orchards
• Annual vegetable production
• Small livestock
• Agroforestry (firewood, timber, syruping, silvopasture)
2-4+ Seasons of permaculture and organic farming experience required; Educational experience a plus; Couples and families especially welcomed to apply.
Responsibilities: Farm owners / managers have three primary areas of responsibility: farm development, land management, and in-house education. Specific tasks for each area include, but are not limited to the following:
• Farm Development
• Supervise planning, planting, harvesting and marketing of one primary and several secondary farm enterprises.
• Integrate farm enterprises with overall permaculture design and goals for the property, cycling nutrients, increasing biodiversity, and building soil every year.
• Develop and track farm’s budget, seeking profitability in multiple forms of capital (financial, living, social, etc.).
• Ensure all local and CT State health regulations are met for handling of produce and other farm products, follow CT State agricultural guidelines and Federal ‘Good Agricultural Practice’ standards
• Land Management
• Carry out general upkeep of property, including but not limited to: daily animal care, haying & mowing, perennial bed upkeep, maintenance of trails and farm roads.
• Maintain equipment and machinery, ensure necessary supplies and parts are available for operation and repair of all equipment.
• In-house Education
• Support land owners to build their skill as small-scale organic farmers and land managers.Work with adults and children to understand and build proficiency in growing crops, animal care, and other aspects of farm enterprise management.
• Work alongside land owners on various farm development and management tasks, including some weekend work.
• Maintain clear, honest, and beautiful relationships with land owners and the local agricultural community. Requires consistent written & spoken communication about the physical, financial, and emotional health of the farm and human landscape.
• 2-4 full seasons of organic farming experience (in cold northern areas) in one or more of the potential agricultural enterprises.
• Complete willingness to learn new agricultural enterprises and an ability to manage complex interrelationships on the farm.
• Familiarity with basic permaculture concepts and strategies.
• Routinely perform hard physical labor on a regular basis
• 1+ seasons of entrepreneurial or farm management experience, including financial budgeting and accounting.
Compensation & Tenure: Land owner seeks a partnership / profit-share model with shared financial capital investments to establish farm enterprises. Position starts Septemer, 2012 without on-site housing; if the arrangement works well for the 2012 season than on-site housing may be available starting approximately December 2013.
Download the application for this position here: Land Managers Application